Thursday, January 20, 2011

ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE

As we were walking to work this morning (me to work, he for his daily trek down the Mall) my husband mentioned that "it's been nice not to have a problem with the apartment lately." As he said that, I noticed the stop light was not working at one of the intersections, but did not think much about it. Then I got a call from him saying that the electricity was out in the building, that the corridors were completely dark because the emergency lights did not work, and he locked himself out of the apartment. Luckily, we have a way to get in to the apartment using another approach. The worst part about it was the rest of the block had power. Fortunately, the electricity was restored within four hours. We used to have the same problem in the old neighborhood. There was nothing more irritating than to not have power and look at the homes across the street that did.  On the way home for lunch, I saw Rep. Barney Frank, and another delightful antique on the sidewalk in the historic district. I heard somewhere today that DC is one of the "rudest" cities. As I think about it, I did have several doors slammed in my face (not unusual), and had to walk around several people on the sidewalk who don't move over even when they see you approaching a mile away. I may start using my elbows because "excuse me please" never seems to work.
Another antique beautifying the neighborhood.
It probably won't get picked up for months.

No comments:

Post a Comment