Friday, February 4, 2011

THE WAY OF MAGICIANS & JUGGLERS

I read a story today about the vanishing job markets of certain professions. These jobs included seamstresses, office support personnel, jugglers, magicians, and postal workers. For sentimental reasons, I've been wanting to have a pair of 30 year old earring posts cut back so I could wear them all the time without sticking me in the head. I never was much of a jewelry fan, which has saved our household an untold amount of money! I think the jewelry store owners and sales staff could be added to the list of soon to be extinct professions. First of all, it was very hard to even remember where a jewelry store was located in the neighborhood. We went to Alexandria, and found a shop next to a frequent lunch stop. The average age of the sales staff working in it were in their 7th decade, and the customers (like me) were at least in their fifth. Fewer and fewer folks wear watches, or need them repaired. Nevertheless, the place looked old, archaic, and out of place. Kinda reminded me of the buggy whip owner who really hated the idea of seeing the automobile. The place in our old neighborhood looked just like this one. I wonder if it is still open? I suppose there will always be the need for engagement rings... but what was that recent story about the future of marriage?

My soon to be one and only pair of earrings


No comments:

Post a Comment