Wednesday, March 2, 2011

BULBS AND MONTICELLO SEEDS

Today was wonderfully sunny and bright. The bulbs I put in when we first moved here are beginning to pop. We planted hyacinths, and some tulips/daffodils. It makes me want to start sowing the seeds we got at Monticello last summer. I'm planning to throw the whole bunch in a very random fashion and see what comes up. The pack we got is called "Monticello's Birds, Bees & Butterflies Sampler," and includes Hollyhocks, Bloodflower, Butterfly Weed, Foxglove, Spider Flower, Purple Coneflower, and Blanket Flower. I had several large gardens in my northern homestead, and tended to them from the first sign of spring to fall- but the season was soooooo short. It was also a lot of work! This little patio garden is obviously much smaller, but every year it's feeling lot a lot of work, but at least it lasts sooooooo much longer! I probably have enough seeds for a much bigger space, but let's hope some of them take. I absolutely love Monticello, and have been there three times in the last 30 years- once in the dead of winter, the heat of summer, and the early fall. And every time was a memorable experience.
Hoping for a green thumb this year

The hyacinths have never failed me!

The beautiful Monticello gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment