Sunday, November 13, 2011

National Gallery of Art

I am in search of a book about Washington DC for a set of four year old twins that live next door to my parents in Florida. The twins Dad helps my parents, and every once in a while I like to send them something as a small token of my appreciation. There are a lot of shops inside the many museums along the Mall, with a DC flair. So we took a walk over to the National Gallery of Art- East Building. The outside facade is having some exterior stone repair and there is scaffolding all around the building. Once inside, we made our way downstairs, then through the tunnel of light that reminds me of Space Mountain in Disney World, and in to the gift shop area. This place is always busy, and there is a great cafeteria and coffee shop to relax in and take a load off. There were a couple items I liked in the gift shop, but not quite what I was looking for. While there, we decided to check out the Small French Painting Exhibit with Impressionist paintings, which are my favorite. As usual, we were hot because it is now colder outside than inside, we were over dressed, and we could not wait to head out. But the stuff that catches our attention is typically not the art- but the people looking at the art. Even though I did not find what I was looking for, it was worth the trip.
Feels like Space Mountain

A really nice exhibit

More interesting than the art?

The other side was even more interesting

Not quite what I was looking for- I'm planning to personalize it!

Across the street to the West Building- the waterfall  is above
Space Mountain below. A tunnel connects the two buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment