Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Discovery over DC

I knew about it yesterday, and was looking forward to standing by the window on the 6th floor of the Madison Building Cafeteria to watch Discovery hover close to the buildings on it's final flight to Dulles, Virginia. But this morning, we were told we could actually get to watch from the 7th floor/roof and we would be notified when it would be time to go up. I had a feeling I should have gone with option one because CNN was already reporting that the shuttle was flying over DC. So a colleague and I rushed to the 6th floor, and we were told that it had already been by- and been by not only once- but three times. We decided to see if we could see anything when we finally got to the 7th floor/roof. Far in the distance it was- moving by the Capitol Building and then to the Washington Monument, then on to it's final ride to Virginia. I can't tell you how disappointed I was to have missed it close up. But at least I did see it making it's way home. I asked several people who did see it if they took any pictures, and most said "no!" Until I got to a meeting and a colleague had taken a really nice one from the patio on the 6th floor. Thanks Roberto, for sharing it with me. One thing about Washington is that it is full of living history, and that is one of the things that I love most about it.
You can see our house and some guys on the rooftop

From the roof of the Madison Building - look really hard!

Looking west to the Washington Monument

If nothing else, a great view of the city

I did really see it!

Thanks Roberto Salazar, for sharing this photo-
the shuttle was flying really low over the Mall

No comments:

Post a Comment