Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Law Day and Richard Dreyfuss

I wasn't sure if we would actually go to this event, but decided that it might be a good idea because we had not been to an evening program at the Jefferson Building for quite some time. Richard Dreyfuss of "Jaws" fame was giving a talk about civics. Since May 1 is Law Day, the Law Library sponsors a program. We had attended one a couple years ago - Lindsey Graham was the guest speaker. Mr. Dreyfuss started by saying that he had 5 titanium rods in his back so needed to be seated for the duration, and he walked with a slight limp. I'm not sure exactly what this program was about. He alluded to Sharon Stone and Steven Spielberg and a few others, but spent no time on any of that. There was no question and answer session. I suppose if there is an interest in learning about his civics plan you can check out his website. In the end, I think I prefer not hearing and seeing "famous" people, because every time they open their mouths, I get disenchanted. But, I wasn't sure what to expect, and the idea of attending these events is always a good one. Plus, it's only two blocks away, it was a beautiful night, and the Capitol Building looked grand when we exited the Library Building. The most significant thing I saw tonight was that Freedom is now back to her usual self atop the dome - the scaffolding has now been removed. And that is one view I never get tired of looking at.
It looked interesting

Getting things ready

The Law Librarian introduction

He's shorter and heavier than in the movies- I kept thinking about Jaws

The stage in the Coolidge Auditorium

The view from the front of the Jefferson Building

No comments:

Post a Comment