Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Rude in Any Language

Someone once said that talking louder does not make you right. And, I was taught to be mindful of others around me so as not to bother them. Living in the Midwest for thirty years, it seemed like a lot of the old rules of etiquette were also taught to most people I worked and lived with. For some reason, folks around here may think they are more special, busier, or otherwise just preoccupied. But, I still can't understand why some folks need to talk so loud on the phone in a place with few occupants in the room that usually helps to drown out the noise. It's bad enough when you can understand what is being said. I can't decide if it's worse or just plain irritating when you can't understand what is being said. I've been on several trips where the primary language was one I did not understand, my husband speaks Farsi, and I learned French, but rarely used it. I admire people who have the skill and ability to speak in many tongues. I've heard that about 130 different languages are spoken at the Library of Congress. I heard two of them very distinctly and louder than any person should be allowed to talk. Didn't your mother teach you any manners? She probably did, but some folks just didn't pay much attention.
She was literally screaming in Ethiopian (?)
 
And he was competing with her in something from India

No comments:

Post a Comment