Monday, May 7, 2012

St. Peter's First Communion

As we walked past St. Peter's Church yesterday, out of the lower level steps came a group of what appeared to be second graders who were in procession for their First Communion Sacrament. (As an aside, I have heard that St. Peter's is the place that Mary Surratt of the Lincoln Conspiracy fame, was married). The scene of the young folks all decked out in their white dresses and veils reminded me of the time that I had my First Communion in Connecticut- which occurred in the first grade. When we moved to Florida, I started school in the second grade. This posed a dilemma for me because whenever my classmates practiced for their First Communion, I was forced to stay with the first graders. Needless to say, it was embarrassing because my classmates would make fun of the fact that I had to stay with first graders. It seems all so trivial now, but there must be a reason that I remember it. I still have my first communion pictures- and they don't look much different than these little girls who were clearly animated with excitement yesterday. Some things never change- the making fun of part and the traditional event itself. Luckily, I lived through them both.
It's obvious they spent a lot of time planning for this

On the way in

Looks like prom or a wedding

A lot of cars stopped to watch

The girls always stand out

Prayer hands

No comments:

Post a Comment