Friday, December 14, 2012

Victor Herbert Babes in Toyland

Although the exhibit at the Library of Congress has been in place since August of this year, it occurs to me that the one thing I can associate with Victor Herbert is Babes in Toyland, and it is timely to think of him during the holiday season. The exhibit is located on the first floor of the Madison Building in the Performing Arts Reading Room. I pass by it every day whenever I walk in the afternoon. Taken from the description on the Library's website, "Victor Herbert was an Irish-American composer, conductor, and activist, whose best known work is Babes in Toyland (1903). He is the grandfather of the American musical theater, and was also the founder of the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP), which works to ensure that music creators are fairly compensated for public performance of their works". I had an opportunity to attend two ASCAP programs at the Library. Sometimes the employees get last minute invitations for these events. My favorite evening was hearing "Bette Davis Eyes" sung by Jackie DeShannon, who was also the songwriter. Now if and when I ever have the opportunity to attend again, I'll think of Victor Herbert. The exhibit ends on January 20, 2013. This is another reason I enjoy where I work and live. There are always wonderful enriching exhibits and events that we may have heard about, but definitely would not have had the opportunity to see - especially on a break from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment