Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Card Catalogues

> In college, we started noticing something called a computer by having to go to the gym, get a "card" with holes punched in it, collect one for each class, and use them to complete registration. We actually typed our papers on a typewriter, used carbon paper, erasable paper, and liquid paper! My first real experience using computers was after I graduated in nursing working in the intensive care unit and the heart cath lab. All other computer orientation since those days was on the job training. I spent a lot of time in the library for both undergraduate and graduate school and frequented the card catalogues to figure out where whatever I needed was located. I haven't thought much about card catalogues until I took my afternoon walk to the lower level of the Library of Congress. Someone is making a move. What struck me was not only the sheer number of these space killing wooden monstrosities, but how old and dilapidated they looked. They were up against the corridor walls winding almost the entire square length of the Madison Building. I suppose if you are a librarian, or have anything to do with a library, this may be an expected or even interesting sight. It looks like ancient history to me. I hope someone can make good use of these items. Firewood anyone?
>

No comments:

Post a Comment