Monday, November 11, 2013

Dan Mattes - A Really Nice Guy

It was an odd combination. He was a finance guy and I was a nurse. Our paths crossed about ten or more years ago when I worked for then Covenant, now Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare. He was my boss for a couple of years, and always seemed - but really was - interested in whatever I was talking about. He was so proud of his family, and never bragged about anything - and he had a lot to brag about. Once I brought in a Beevis and Butthead remote control to work, and he loved it! We obviously shared a sick sense of humor. I had to call Dan at home to see if he would mind being a reference for the job I now have in Washington. He thought nothing of it, wanted to know all about it, and was so happy to help - because that's how Dan was. So it was with a great deal of sadness that I learned the news of his passing this weekend. First I heard about it on Facebook, then through an email from folks I used to work with. He was only 46. I could only think about what his family had to be feeling, because I felt so very awful. These are the kind and dear people we left in Wisconsin. Living in Washington makes us think about them more, but in this case, unfortunately under such awful circumstances. All I know is that Dan will be remembered as a really nice guy, and I am so glad to have known him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment