Thursday, December 26, 2013

North and South Meets The Cowboys

My husband was canvassing the television programs last evening when he stumbled across the miniseries North and South. As a Civil War fan, we watched it back in the 80's and particularly liked James Read. We have also travelled to Natchez, Charleston, and many more southern Civil War landmarks based on this interest. We liked most of the miniseries for television back then- Captains and the Kings, Shogun, Thornbirds, Lonesome Dove, etc. So I asked him to bring it on and we ended up watching episodes four and five to the end. It didn't matter that we didn't see the beginning. After that, we had time enough to watch another movie that we had in the queue. We used to watch the Encore Western movie channel a lot. In fact, I met and got a kiss from James Drury, The Virginian, a couple years ago! But we watched The Cowboys featured on AMC's John Wayne week. We haven't seen a western for quite a while and neither one of us had see this one. My family grew up on John Wayne, and westerns, and my husband loves Bruce Dern. My first recollection of John Wayne was in The Horse Soldiers - another Civil War story. I used to know a guy at work in Milwaukee that would do the John Wayne walk. It was quite hilarious. Some things just stick in your head. It was a nice ending to our Christmas holiday. Oh- did I mention we watched Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh in Holiday Affair last week? (Photos from North and South and Holiday Affair are from Wikipedia)





No comments:

Post a Comment