Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The American Association of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP) Exhibit at The Library of Congress

On my afternoon walk in the Madison Building of the Library of Congress I noticed the exhibit in the Performing Arts Reading Room Gallery changed. It was about opera for the last several months. Now it's about ASCAP's one hundred year anniversary. I'm not sure I would have paid much attention before, but I have been lucky enough to go to two ASCAP events at the Library. Every year there is an awards and celebration event  that recognizes songs and songwriters. Paul Williams was the host and members of Congress introduce the inductees from their states, and then the music starts. Employees get to go when the seats need to be filled but the invitations are few and far in between lately! The exhibit shows the history of ASCAP and where it is heading and includes an Oscar for The Pink Panther music, and various artists who are also showcased. It's a great way to spend a few minutes - especially when it's on an afternoon walk and in the building where I work. I don't recall anything like that while working in health care in Milwaukee. 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment