Saturday, February 1, 2014

Toshiba Satellite Laptop

We all know that Windows XP will no longer be supported as of April this year. My laptop is eight years old and uses XP. And with that laptop I like using Picasa for my photo manipulation, some Microsoft office products, and my printer, scanner photo-smart printer alignment. My husband's laptop is about five years old and has Vista, which I hate. Since the iPad was introduced three years ago, we not only have the first generation, by also the third generation. I use the iPad to create all my digital art and love the simplicity of use, but it has limitations beyond that. For some things you just have to have a laptop. Some of my customers cannot open picture files sent from the iPad, but can when I send them from my laptop. At work we just converted from XP to windows 7. I've looked at the Mac laptops, but am not in the mood to learn another operating system, but I really like the idea of having all the same equipment brand. So, after a lot of research and procrastination, I talked to our IT guy for last minute advice, and decided to just dive in, because in the end the laptops pretty much all do the same thing for basic needs. To make it easy, I just got another Toshiba, but a hybrid with touchscreen, keypad, and windows 8. I figured I could fumble my way through it, but would need a glass of wine to help set it up. So far, I was able to get Norton on with my current subscription, and can easily print an email, but not a photo from Picasa. So I added an app to my iPad for printing, which was a great improvement from a few years ago, but I can't get the printer software installed to access the scanner function. My printer is too old to meet the requirements for an iPad app. The problem is is that I know a little about this stuff, but not enough, and spend too much wasted time trying to figure it all out. That's why I'm glad I got it now to give myself enough time to reconcile all this junk. Each piece of equipment has it's strengths and weaknesses, but I really don't care to be an expert. 








No comments:

Post a Comment