Sunday, February 16, 2014

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls from the Unstoppable Farm Woman - The Polish Kabob?

Growing up in a Polish household afforded us the delights of pierogi and stuffed cabbage, plus sauerkraut and Polish sausage. Not necessarily the healthiest food, but tasty and very ethnic. Milwaukee had all kinds of Polish restaurants and even a Polish Fest on the Lakefront. My first Madame Alexander doll was from Poland, and my mother tells us we all spoke Polish before we knew English. Unfortunately, there are no Polish restaurants around here that we know of. I even contacted the Polish Embassy for help but didn't receive an answer! I don't usually pay attention to recipes posted on Facebook but this one caught my eye. I showed it to my husband who likes to cook and he gave it a whirl, adding to it his brand of flavors and seasonings. We definitely added rice and mixed it all together to make it look more like the real stuffed cabbage. We liked it so much we made it again the following week and it will probably become a routine. As my husband is Iranian, we like a few Persian places around here - Moby Dick take out, Yekta in Rockville, and Kabob Bazaar in Arlington. You could say this recipe is the Polish version of Kabob... Rice, hamburger/ground meat... If you look and enough you can always find something in common. 




No comments:

Post a Comment