Monday, September 15, 2014

Nasta'liq - The Genius of Persian Calligraphy at the Sackler

I attempted to take a photo at an exhibit in the Sackler recently and was reprimanded by the security guard. I had taken photos in there before, so was a little surprised - and embarrassed - by the encounter. When we took our walk yesterday we headed down independence Avenue. I asked my husband if he wanted to see if there was a new exhibit at the Sackler at this time of year. As it so happens, one just opened this past weekend about the fine art of calligraphy. I didn't even attempt to take any photos, and didn't even feel like asking. I'm not sure why, but I was feeling a little faint as we made our way around the two room gallery. Maybe because I didn't have my regular glasses and my sunglasses were just a bit too dark for the low lighted area. We did pick up a card on the way out that highlighted future events that will be held over the next several months. These include lectures, a film festival, and of course the annual Nowruz celebration in Spring. We visited the Sackler many times before we moved here, along with most of the Smithsonian museums on the mall. It's so much easier just walking down the street and deciding at the last minute to stop off and see one of them. It's even better on the off season and without the crowds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment