Friday, September 12, 2014

The Dog Memorial Portrait

It didn't start out that way. I opened my Etsy shop two years ago featuring digital art. I grew up on watercolors and pastels, pen and ink, and sketches. But when the iPad came along, my life really changed and my hobby blossomed. It started with a win in The New Yorker Eustace Tilley contest, and featured works in the employee art show at The Library of Congress. Capitol Hill and Washington DC are highlighted in a lot of my art. Three of my children's books feature fish, grandsons, family life, and cities. Trips to England, Iran, and Denmark spark some creativity. But one of my favorite subjects to draw is a dog. So far, I've done quite a few. Several are on display at the Wagtime Shop across from the Navy Yard on Capitol Hill. There is just something about a dog - or a cat. We had two wonderful animals when we lived in Milwaukee. A golden retriever named Natasha and a beautiful Borzoi by the name of Tatiana. When they left us, they took a part of us with them. I guess a lot of people feel the same way. One of the most frequent requests I receive for a custom portrait is of a dearly departed pet. And one of the best compliments to receive is that I captured the spirit of that beloved pet in their eyes. It's so rewarding to get positive feedback on anything, but there is just something special about the bond between a pet and his owner. 








No comments:

Post a Comment