Thursday, October 2, 2014

Beam Me Up Scotty - Please!

I hate flying. In Milwaukee we had to fly from O'Hare in Chicago for international flights. Our friends would always drive us. We had a ten PM flight to London from Dulles. The plane was coming from Frankfurt where there is a potential Lufthansa pilot strike. When I checked the status it said "on time" - we kept our fingers crossed. The shuttle bus picked us up a half hour early, taking us on an extended tour of the city during rush hour to pick up someone else - only to pass by our house on the way to the freeway. The people behind us asked the driver to turn up the AC, and I froze because the air vent above us was wide open so I couldn't close ours. No one could tell us what terminal this plane would land at - it's a big mystery but a problem when someone is coming to pick us up. The flight was booked on Lufthansa, but everything is United - confusing for infrequent flyers. The strap broke on my carry on, my left index finger started bleeding from a cut I don't know where I got from, and the entertainment screen isn't working in front of my husband. That happened to him last time. Of course I can not sleep five minutes on this night flight and am worrying about my elderly parents who are struggling with recent health issues. Did I mention the turbulence? At least we didn't have a four hour delay due to rain. Someone is incessantly sneezing next to us and we are crammed in to the economy class section. They didn't turn anyone away due to fever that we know of. Security seems to be tighter all around. One nice thing is it is definitely less busy in October than during the summer months. We will probably forget all of this once we get to our destination when we finally see our friends. But we still need to make the return trip. Where are you Scotty?



No comments:

Post a Comment