Thursday, November 20, 2014

Billy Joel Gershwin Prize at DAR Constitution Hall on PBS January 2

It was a fun night. We got free tickets to see the Billy Joel Gershwin Prize Concert at the DAR Constitution Hall. I work at the Library of Congress and every once in a while, employees have an opportunity to attend these types of events. We took our first Uber ride there, and immediately went to our seats. The tickets were for side stage views but couldn't be better because the box that Billy Joel, Dr. Billington, and SCOTUS Justice Sotomayor sat in was just to our right. I watched Billy Joel snapping his fingers, clapping along, and watching the production most of the night. The TelePrompTer words changed size based on the artist on stage - Tony Bennett had the largest letters - but now I know why they all remember the words so well. My husband loved Kevin Spacey the most - especially when he played harmonica at the finale. We will probably watch the edited version on PBS in January. Everything looks so different when you are actually there watching the set changes and some of the behind the scenes action. Unfortunately I left without my program and we ordered up another Uber ride. We were home before ten.  It's not something we do with any frequency, but it was quite memorable for a lot of reasons. That's what I call an employee perk - and a little luck getting a lottery ticket. The most frequent line I hear from my husband these days is "how could we ever leave this town?" He never said that when we lived in Milwaukee. 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment