Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Long Weekend

As a heath care provider for thirty years, I worked many odd shifts, weekends and holidays the first ten years. Then I moved to a Monday through Friday schedule for the last twenty, with six holidays. When I became a federal employee eight years ago, my work days were nine hours with every other Friday off and ten holidays. Since I finally went to a part time schedule for the first time in my work career in March this year, I have been working three eight hour shifts a week. This is the first time in forty years that I work less time than I am off - and it is simply delightful! The eight hour days are so much nicer than nine. And in the winter months, leaving work in the dark was a drag. Unfortunately, Monday is the day that most holidays fall on, and since I am already scheduled off, I miss out on having the holiday day off about six times a year. But Veterans Day falls on a Tuesday, so I am finally in luck. On top of that, last week we had already scheduled annual doctor appointments for Tuesday and Thursday, which meant I had one working day last week. And thanks to the extra holiday on Tuesday this week, I actually have a six day long weekend! Most of my friends are retired, and I have never heard any of them even suggest they dislike it. Until that time comes for me, this is a great segue for transitioning into full retirement. We've lived in Washington DC now for eight years. Maybe we can reach another milestone in a couple more. With Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year landing on Thursday this year, I'm looking forward to having some really long weekends off. Maybe I should change my work schedule to Include Mondays?

No comments:

Post a Comment