Friday, November 14, 2014

The Lost Thirty Plus Year Old Earring

I have one pair of white gold diamond stud earrings that I do not take off. They actually "screw" on to ensure they don't fall off. These are the only earrings I wear and it's been that way for many years. Before we moved to DC I had a drawer full of really interesting semi precious costume and artsy type earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and rings. I left it all in Milwaukee, along with everything else, because we just didn't have the space for most of it. Last week I removed the earrings because of a radiology exam that requires no metal. Before we left for the appointment, I left the earrings on my bedside stand. When we got home, I immediately put them on. This week, we were watching TV and I felt my left earlobe. The earring was gone. I was simply devastated because this pair of earrings are the only ones I received as gift from my husband when I first met him over thirty five years ago. Since I knew I had them on for the last few days, I figured it was lost forever. I was heartsick! The next day after we came home from our morning walk, my husband tore the place upside down and anxiously showed me that he had found the back of the earring, near the couch. So he doggedly searched everywhere for the other piece without luck. Then he brought out the Dyson vacuum and thought he heard a metallic sound. And there it was! There is really nothing extraordinary about these pieces, but they have a huge value to me. He told me afterwards that he would have gotten another pair - but it wouldn't have been the same. In a way, I think he was even more upset about it that I was. I'm just so thrilled I have them back. 








No comments:

Post a Comment