Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Convoluted Walk Through the Cannon, Longworth, and Rayburn House Office Buildings

My passport expires soon so I put together all the documents required - the old passport, the color photo, the document, and the check. Because I work at the Library I was told I could drop the paperwork off in the Cannon Building Post Office. As I headed through the tunnels past the security check point, all the furniture was in the hallway for everyone to pick over for their new or moved offices. Since the recent election, it's office roulette. When I reached the post office in the Cannon Building, she directed me to the Logistics office in the Longworth Building. Complicating the matter was the place was jammed with all the new and old congressional staff. There were signs for receptions, lines to the Capitol, and a lot of congestion. People were even asking me for directions. Reaching my destination I was told I needed a referral letter from my representative to use the passport service. She grudgingly gave me the office number and luckily it was in the Rayburn Building just next door. When I asked the info desk where I could find Eleanor Holmes Norton's office, they said to go back to Longworth- only to correct themselves - and directed me to the first floor for a room number that begins with "2." I was already packing on at least one mile of corridor when I got there through the marble hallways. The young man in the office was very helpful and produced the referral letter after I provided him with my name and birthdate - and assured him I was a DC resident. Almost losing my way back, I finally found my way to the Logistics Office - again. She took all the paperwork and asked that I leave a number where they can contact me in about a four week period. I'm beginning to wonder if it would have been easier just to mail the darn thing to Philadelphia. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get that phone call. If nothing else it was an experience - albeit a very convoluted one. 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment