Friday, January 23, 2015

From Heels to Flats

I always had a variety of shoes to match my closet full of clothes for all seasons - especially in Milwaukee. I also had a large closet to house all these clothes, shoes, and boots. Most of the time I wore heels with my work clothes - some were up to three inches - making me an imposing five feet eleven inches. Maybe it helped when I had to deal with obnoxious physicians. My coworkers gave me a Nordstrom going away gift certificate when I left, and I happily got two new high healed pairs of shoes for my new job here. However, our closet space here remains practically non existent. I am also several years older, and the sidewalks are lousy. So most of my heels and work shoes sit in a file drawer in my office. Because I walk a couple blocks to the office, I always wear my flat "home shoes" or boots to and from work and change in to my work shoes.  But over the last year, I have not even worn any of these work shoes or boots once. They have all been exchanged for a single pair of flat shoes that have a silver or gold hue depending on whatever it is that I happen to be wearing. It must be a sign of the times... working less hours a week, edging towards retirement, personal priorities changing, clothes purchases only have to do with weekend wear rather than work. It's just another transition, and in my mind, a very good one. 






No comments:

Post a Comment