Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Goosefest on the Potomac River and Washington Monument

I noticed them when we were crossing I-395 on the way to the GW Parkway and wanted to be sure we checked the scene out on our way home. There along the icy Potomac River near the MLK and FDR Memorials were hundreds of Canadian Geese. Some were in the water standing on the ice or bobbing around and squawking. As the planes flew overhead a bunch of them would fly en masse to the other side with the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorials in the background. I know these birds can be vicious especially if there is a nest in sight. Several of my co workers in Milwaukee were attacked by these feathered friends anytime they were too close to the youngsters. I didn't think of that when I got out of the car and boldly walked towards this huge pack of feathers. They all waddled away in different directions as I was taking a movie. I've seen these geese everywhere but not in these numbers. I'm not sure what exactly prompted this "goosefest" on the Mall, but it was a sight to see. I was hoping someone would run through the field of birds so I could film a breathtaking flight of fancy. It didn't happen, but it was the next best opportunity. 









No comments:

Post a Comment