Monday, January 26, 2015

Twenty Six Bosses in Forty Years

Forty years is a long time to work, and I am approaching that milestone in August. As of a month ago, in those forty years I had twenty-five bosses. I just learned last week I am in for another one. Usually one makes their own work and job choices, but that is not the case this time. The only difference is that since I have been working part time for almost a year, it doesn't matter as much. Eighteen of the 26 bosses were female and eight were male. In the early years of clinical nursing, and then nursing management, they were 100% female. When I moved to the corporate office, they were mostly male. All told, they each lasted about one and a half years - although most of the time it was because I was moving myself along the career ladder. Only one of these bosses I would consider a true mentor - someone who looked after your back and really cared about you. I was very lucky to have a mentor in college too. You'll know it when you have one! I have worked in four separate organizations - three health care facilities and systems and the federal government. I have been a patient care giver, a boss to about 1,000 nurses in the critical care arena, and an internal consultant with no direct reports. I've learned to adjust to whatever is thrown at me. It should be no different this time. (Photos taken from the websites of the organizations I have worked for).




No comments:

Post a Comment