Friday, February 6, 2015

An Ingenious Moving System & My First Office "Cube"

It's hard to believe you can fit eight plus years of belongings in to three large blue containers on wheels. It's a great way to pack things up with the least amount of disruption. It could only happen because I literally dumped every hard copy of anything I ever created. I brought about one drawer full of documents from my previous life in my health care career, and added another bunch since I started working here in DC. I dumped them all last week.  It is also the first time I will be without a private office since I began assuming management positions in 1980. I was trying to decide which office I liked the most...the one with the big windows and the view of the world outside and sunshine - and the one I disliked the most - the one I am leaving. It was in the interior of the building, no windows, freezing, with a very loud escalator sound above my head that was rarely turned off, and a copy machine right outside my door. I can't say that I am disappointed to go to an office cubicle that actually has a better work space, seems warm, and meets my basic needs. But you can't tell much on the first day. I'm one step closer to the outside door, work part time, only have the essentials around me, and still like what I do. Ask me again what I think in a month or two. 









No comments:

Post a Comment