Monday, February 2, 2015

Why You Need An Accountant

I mostly do it because I enjoy it. Creating pet portraits for customers all over the US, Canada, Australia, and Puerto Rico is very enjoyable.  I started this little "business" by creating an Etsy Shop. I also wrote three children's books that are available on Amazon and everywhere else. And don't forget the fees for personal websites and Fine Art America. As with any business, all the expenses and revenue need to be tracked - for tax purposes. I keep everything in a folder until this time of year. I usually summarize it all on an excel file, but the laptop that had that option bit the dust. I don't use the software enough at home to buy that Microsoft product, and too lazy to figure out if there is any capability to use "numbers" on the iPad. So yesterday I had my calculator out adding up all the expenses associated with my artwork. Most of what I do is digitally created - except when it comes to displaying the completed projects on the gallery wall at the Wagtime Too Shop on Capitol Hill. That process is ink, foam board, and glue intensive - and where most of the expenses lie. But I also bought a touch screen laptop to replace my almost ten year old Toshiba that I brought to DC from Milwaukee. There are some things the iPad can't do, and this one is used 100% for my artwork. My new iPad air 2 is used to create the art, but I also use it for personal reasons. Of course, I don't plan on getting hardware every year. We still have an accountant who does out real taxes, so we rely on him to guide us on all things IRS. It just makes you wonder how the real small business owners do it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment