Thursday, April 9, 2015

Gershwin Prize Winners

Along one of the hallways of the Library of Congress Jefferson Building is the Coolidge Auditorium. We've been there many times for a variety of events and lectures that are usually free and open to the public. The graceful archways also serve as a great background for the posters that are on display every so many feet. This year the Billy Joel poster was added to the space as the 2014 Gershwin Prize Winner. This was also an artist that we got to see perform for free at Constitution Hall last year. Other winners include Paul Simon, Hal David and Burt Bacharach, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, and Carole King. They are all so very familiar to me, but I didn't get to see any of the others in concert. Every once in a while the employees get a chance to attend events to help fill the seats. I always try to take advantage of those rare opportunities. They don't happen that often, but we are always glad when we go. So when I walk the halls on an afternoon break it's a nice reminder to see the past recipients. I wonder who it will be this year? But more importantly, will I get to go?






No comments:

Post a Comment