Saturday, June 27, 2015

From Richmond to Washington

We were finally on our last day driving home from Florida yesterday. My dad died last week and it feels like a dream -  I haven't quite figured out what end is up. We left Florida on the interstate and stayed on it through most of Virginia. Taking the freeway is faster, but it can also be boring. So around Richmond we decided to take the back roads and see how far we could get without too much of a delay. Driving in an eleven year old Subaru also doesn't lend a lot of confidence, but we have AAA, a phone, and GPS, so we took a chance. It was a rather cloudy and rainy day. Once on the road, a lot of what we saw looks like a lot of other back roads in other states. It really didn't seem that much different than Florida, except the citrus and gator signs have long since disappeared. Every time we take a route like this it reminds me of a whole other lifestyle and how different it is from anywhere we have ever lived. I suppose there are pros and cons for each. All I know is my husband is an urban dweller and that definitely has it's drawbacks. Just getting groceries is ten times more expensive in Washington than Virginia - we were reminded of that today. There must be something in between that could be suitable for our taste. We just haven't found it yet. And as one of our friends told us - there's no reason to make a decision if you don't need to. I'm not quite sure how losing a parent is supposed to feel. I just need to settle back in to a routine and I'm looking forward to it. But everything looks just a little different. 









No comments:

Post a Comment