Monday, June 8, 2015

The Dreaded Colonoscopy Prep

I'd rather mention it now than later this week. After having a visit to the Emergency room last month with abdominal pain and tachycardia, my physician thought it would be a wise idea to have another colonoscopy on my follow up visit. I've been putting it off anyway. Luckily the chest, abdominal, and pelvic CAT scan was negative, along with ultrasounds of the kidneys and leg. I had a colonoscopy before when we first moved here. So we went to see the same GI physician that I saw the first time and scheduled the procedure for this week. Of course, one needs to prepare for this test a couple days in advance. Last time I took pills, but this time he wanted a better result. We went to the pharmacy to pick up the gallon of go-lytely, and then the grocery store for 7 up and broth. To make the go-lytely more palatable, it is recommended to add crystal light to the mix. Unfortunately, we got the liquid kind that turns water to blue or red - a big no no when they will be checking the inside of your intestines! So we had to go back to the grocery store and get the packaged crystal light - this time a lemonade flavor and clear. Luckily for me, I get to start the whole experience two days before so I decided to take another day off from work for obvious reasons. I don't know how I am going to drink all this liquid because on a good day I consume hardly one glass of anything. Even though I am trained as a masters prepared nurse and my husband is a surgeon, I still get nervous about tests these days. Let's hope it goes well. Then the prep will simply be an afterthought. And I doubt if I'll ever drink crystal light again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment