Thursday, June 4, 2015

TMJ Night Guard

For anyone out there who ever had TMJ issues, you never want to get in to a situation to put your poor joints at risk. Over thirty years ago I had TMJ surgery because I could no longer open my mouth, had headaches, shoulder and neck pain, and was generally miserable. Since then I need to wear a splint at night or the next day would be very uncomfortable. These appliances were always specially made at the Medical College. Since we moved to DC from Milwaukee I have been wearing an off the shelf brand and my front teeth have slowly been separating because it is a soft splint. So I finally decided to have my dentist make a splint - or night guard - for me. It required a visit to take impressions and it is made out of a harder, clear material. I was surprised it didn't have diamonds on it because it cost quite a lot. And of course, insurance does not pay for a cent - neither medical nor dental. But I can't risk getting in to a very uncomfortable jaw problem again. Every time I hear a click or feel any discomfort it is disconcerting to say the least. The first night was a bit uncomfortable because it is rigid and I need to get adjusted to the new appliance. Hopefully it will work out. I'm just glad there are devices out there that can ease the pain, but still can't believe how expensive they are. Let's hope I don't need another one any time soon - for so many reasons. 



No comments:

Post a Comment