Friday, July 10, 2015

DC Office of the Recorder of Deeds

We never received the official deed for our condo, so we decided it was time to get all the paperwork in order. Having just lost my Dad a couple weeks ago, it was a good reminder. It just makes it so much easier for everyone when things are well documented. He did a great job with all that, and I always learned to be very organized through him. In order to save a trip to the office, I tried to access the deed on line for $1.50, but did not have the appropriate Java script on my laptop, and I wasn't about to download it either. So we took a ride to SW DC to the Recorder of Deeds office after lunch today.  Obviously there was no parking close by, and when we finally made our way in to the building, we had to not only sign in, show identification and wear a visitor sticker, but also go through security. When we finally reached the fifth floor, we made our request, signed two papers, then had to go back down to the first floor cashier to pay $6.45 for a certified copy. Then we went back upstairs to pick up the final document. I mentioned to the clerk that I was unable to access the deed on line, and he said most people have difficulty with the site. Why am I not surprised? Anyway, it was well worth the trip and it gave us an opportunity to check out the SW part of town, which is exploding with new development. Every time we drive around my husband tells me how much he loves this city. Sounds like we will be stuck here for awhile - and we now have documented proof of our residence. 







No comments:

Post a Comment