Friday, August 28, 2015

Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge Chamber Music Exhibit at the Library of Congress

I've been in the Coolidge Auditorium many times over the last nine years. I thought the name was associated with President Calvin Coolidge, but didn't know why or how. Now there is a new exhibit at the Library of Congress that not only clarifies who Coolidge really was, but the genesis behind the whole affair. The history is clearly articulated in the exhibit, and it was all new to me. But because of her efforts, we are all invited to attend many free concerts and other productions in the Coolidge Auditorium. We have seen authors, artists, and I've even had staff meetings there. The acoustics are fine, but I can tell you it is always very cold! We have not attended any of the chamber music productions there, but the musical and orchestral lineups are quite impressive from year to year - all genres - to satisfy the tastes of everyone. A calendar of events can be found on the library's website and outside the front door of the Madison Building kiosk. I pass by this exhibit whenever I take a walk in the afternoon. It's worth a moment to stop by and see it. Thanks Elizabeth!










No comments:

Post a Comment