Sunday, August 9, 2015

I Miss the Wisconsin State Fair

While at the Capitol Building on Friday evening, I made a movie of the army band playing the theme song from the Cowboys movie because it was John Wayne related. Anytime we watch a John Wayne movie I take a short clip of it or a photo and text it to my colleague from Milwaukee. So I sent the clip of the music and within a few minutes he responded. He loves John Wayne and likes to impersonate him. I was entertained at work by this foolishness - especially that lopsided walk. It was always a source of extreme laughter. This time, however, he responded to the text with a photo from the Wisconsin State Fair. The first with a goat, and then with a corn cob - standing next to one and holding a cob with a few bites taken out of a row or two. That is one thing I really miss about Wisconsin. We always went to the fair. I loved to see the animals, eat the corn and assorted other foodstuffs, and maybe a cream puff. My husband loved the strange characters that came with the carnival rides as well as the sales pitches from the vendors for all the kitchen gadgets. I know there are state fairs around here, but we never got to any of them. It's probably something you just have to grow up with. And after thirty years of Wisconsin State fairs, nothing could possibly be the same. Thanks Paul for reminding me of it. I wish I was in Wisconsin this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment