Saturday, October 3, 2015

Dr. Billington Farewell Email

I've worked at the Library of Congress since we moved to Washington DC. Before that, my career was thirty years in health care. I saw a lot of people come and go in the variety of positions I held. While at the library, I saw the Librarian of Congress several times - in the hallway, at the Book Festival, at many Library sponsored occasions like the Billy Joel tribute, Jill Biden's children's book story reading, and other notable presentations and programs. Over the last year the press has not been too kind, so the Librarian decided to retire last week - a few months earlier than planned - after almost thirty years in the position. There are a lot of mixed reviews about that. Nonetheless, change is in the air. The final email was written to the staff from the 13th Librarian of Congress on his final day. I've never received a message from anyone in that sort of position. And I am happy to say I actually saw the guy and have an association with a remarkable institution. It must have felt weird to actually call it a day. But it happens to everyone. It was just his time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment