Saturday, May 28, 2016

A Portrolio for an Interview Ten Years Ago at the Library of Congress

It was exactly ten years ago to the day when we flew in to DC from Milwaukee for my interview for a job at the Library of Congress. It was on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I had a telephone interview in February, and it took three months for a face to face interview to get scheduled. During that time I started to put together my portfolio of work to bring along with me. All of it was health care related - clinical articles I had written, articles about implementing the first bedside computer system, and all the work about performance measurement as the regional director of performance management in a very large heath care system. What did any of this have to do with the Library of Congress? It so happened that the skill set I had matched the needs of the infrastructure support services requirements to implement a performance measurement system. My little portfolio came in handy as I was later told it was the icing on the cake. It's hard to believe it has been ten years since that interview. In looking back I have fonder memories of all my health care days. But I will always be thankful to the persons who offered me the job at the library. It literally changed our lives what will moving from the Midwest to DC. I retired in February and we continue to think about where we may eventually end up. Since we already downsized to our tiny place here, we don't have any reason to change right now. It's time to enjoy the city we live in without having to work in it. I got used to that idea three months ago and have never looked back! 









No comments:

Post a Comment