Friday, May 6, 2016

Gettysburg Museum

It's been awhile since we went to Gettysburg. The first time I was there it was with my family when I was about 7 or 8, in the hot summer. We have been through the battlefield several times since. We had reason to go again last week when our friends were visiting from Wisconsin. The main reason was to see the Eisenhower farm. But you really can't see that alone without also seeing the museum and the battlefield. You need to stop at the visitor center to catch a bus to the farm, and the bus drives through the battlefield. So we started our visit at the center and spent a few minutes checking out the museum before the bus came. I always liked history and was a member of the Milwaukee Civil War Round Table for many years. But my interest was in the social aspects, how people lived, and the medicine of the time. The visitor center was completely redone since the last time we were there. Because of time limits, we didn't go see the cyclorama or movie, which may have been good to get regrounded in the events that happened during that very hot July. I have never been one to read every placard, or stop and gaze at every little corner in any museum. It was not very busy this time of year, and it was cold and damp to boot. As I've gotten older, my interest in some of these things has waned. I'm not sure why. All I can think of is how did the citizens cope with such a devastation as this? I just hope we never have to witness the likes of it again. 










No comments:

Post a Comment