Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day Concert and Parade - Washouts?!

I forgot that the dress rehearsal for the Memorial Day concert was Saturday. It was a beautiful evening too. So we missed that. We thought about going to the televised concert last evening, but it was pouring rain. I wouldn't have minded seeing the Beach Boys - after all, theirs was the first concert I ever went to! So we watched a bit on TV instead. The crowds were really sparse. I felt bad for all the visitors and performers. This morning we took our usual morning jaunt on the mall. It was much busier than yesterday, and the crews were already dismantling the stage in front of the Capitol. But all along Constitution Avenue and the mall the streets were already closed for the parade at 2:30. Folks with large badges and t shirts touting Memorial Day parade 2016 were seen everywhere. The VIP section in front of the archives was all ready for whomever gets a perfect seat there. It used to be when we walked later in the day we would run in to these events as they were in progress. But in the hotter months we try to walk earlier to avoid heatstroke. And wouldn't you know the weather forecast is for 100% right around the time of the parade. I wouldn't be caught dead sitting or standing in rain. But I'm sure it won't stop most people from going. I wish I was a bit more adventurous - but I'm just too practical. Maybe next year?




No comments:

Post a Comment