Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day in DC

About seven years ago our grandson from California came for a visit. One of the places he wanted to see was Arlington National Cemetery. I have been there a few times -  before I was married - and several times afterwards. I saw the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns when I was a child, and a few times since. The view of the city from the top of the hill is breathtaking. While we were there with our grandson, a funeral procession was in process with the full caisson. Though we didn't know the family, it was moving all the same. We made several stops along the way and ultimately found ourselves at the Vietnam Memorial Wall. So today it is fitting to think about all the times we passed through these places and remember what we saw there. It never gets any easier, I just get older and think about it from different sets of eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment