Monday, August 14, 2017

An Amateur Animal or Insect Behavioralist

I am sure I drive my husband crazy with my constantly taking photographs. The iPhone was the best thing that ever happened to someone like me! I have always loved taking photos. I had the original Swinger instant camera, the first Sony movie camera, and the first digital camera with floppy disks, along with all the standard regular cameras out there. I couldn't wait to have the film developed. So take this love of photography and match that with animal and insect observation, who knows what might happen? I watched a firefly so long one time On our patio garden that he finally jumped on my arm and we had quite a chat! When we walk on the mall even the mundane squirrel, bird, hawk, pigeon or crow get my attention. This morning as we were walking through the US Botanic Garden steps by Bartholdi Fountain, we saw a bunch of ants running around for the first time this summer. It is so intriguing to watch what they are doing, who is carrying what, the direction they are moving, etc. And whenever I see ants I am reminded of my FSU biology professor whose life work is fire ants, but was also my mentor. I can still see him leaning over his microscope when I would visit his office to lament over some unfortunate circumstance. Following the ants we passed by a few bees on our way through the garden. Maybe I missed my true calling. But if it had became work, I probably wouldn't like it as much.





No comments:

Post a Comment