Saturday, October 7, 2017

The Art of Using Chopsticks

I have often admired people who have mastered using chopsticks. I never learned how to, and am rather anxious to eat my food, so fiddling with things I can't use just won't do. Since we had our tiny condo renovated, we have come to know our Vietnamese friends quite well. They are actually Chinese, and moved to Vietnam many years ago, and have been in the US more years than that. They will oftentimes bring food varieties from their native country to our house so we can try them out. Most recently, we had a dish made from papaya, basil, beef jerky, and some sort of hot sauce. With this, they brought along chopsticks. So both my husband and I got an individual lesson on the art of using them. My husband picked it up right away. I, on the other hand, just couldn't get the knack of it. It didn't matter if I used the skinny ones of the thicker ones. Maybe it was because I had an audience? I reverted to using the good old fork, but did give it another try before all was said and done. I finally got it, but not with any great finesse. My husband was so thrilled with his new utensils that he tried it out on a fried egg the next day. It was too slippery to succeed. As for the foodstuffs? I think I prefer more bread and something with a little more familiar taste. Although I have to say it was fun to get acquainted with the favorites from this side of the world.








No comments:

Post a Comment