Wednesday, November 15, 2017

eBay is Not For Me

I have been selling custom pet portraits since 2012. My interest in art was reignited when the iPad came out. Instead of messing with charcoal, pastels, and watercolors, I paint with my iPad instead. So I opened an Etsy Shop for custom orders, along with Artyah and Hound & Co, and have prints on Fine Art America and Zazzle. It's always good to put your eggs in more than one basket. I also showcase my work on my Facebook page, Instagram, Tumblr, and Twitter. I also have a gallery wall at the Wagtime Shop on Capitol Hill. It's a full time job! I thought it might be a good idea to have a presence on eBay. So I went through all the motions the other day and tried to set up my first listing. Since my work is all "virtual" and the end product is a jpeg image - like a photo - that is sent as an attachment to an email, there is no hard copy product that needs to be mailed. In reading the fine print, that is not an acceptable product to sell. It would need to be set up as a classified ad. Because it was getting a bit confusing I called an eBay rep and they told me the classified option was just closed down. She recommended another company name to use. At that point I just decided eBay just wasn't for me. The beauty of my commissions is that I don't have to deal with mailing anything and I can take my studio with me wherever I go. I have occasionally printed out 8x10 hard copies of portraits on photo paper if there was no other option, or if the customer wanted to pick the portrait up if they live in the neighborhood. I am waiting for Amazon to come up with a way to enable this process in their handmade shop, but that hasn't happened yet. So I will stick with what I have for now. In the meantime my Christmas commissions are starting to trickle in and I need to get to work! And all I need to do is attach the final portrait to an email. Why would I want to change that? 
















No comments:

Post a Comment