Saturday, April 14, 2018

Nurse Practitioner at Sibley Hospital Outpatient Center

Just a few weeks ago I needed to have my knee checked because of discomfort that wouldn’t go away. So we went to the Med star prompt care center a few blocks away after being rejected by our doctor office. I was seen by a nurse practitioner but ended up being referred to another physician office and don’t think he really addressed the issue as it is still there. So when my husband needed something evaluated last week, the physician wouldn’t be available for weeks so he made an appointment and was also seen by a nurse practitioner at the Sibley hospital outpatient center. We much prefer going to Sibley in a quiet neighborhood compared to the difficult to navigate large medical centers. Anyway, he thought the nurse practitioner was excellent. I’m not really surprised. At one time in my nursing career I enrolled in the nurse practitioner program at Marquette University. I had a masters in nursing in administration and a peripheral vascular disease. But the majority of my career was in admin. So when I took a pharmacology class and an older adult class, the first one was daunting, but the second one was fun. I hadn’t administered medication for years and never excelled in these sorts of classes. I thought it might be a good back up plan to have another degree in senior care but in the end I stopped after these two. After all, working full time and taking classes was hard enough the first go round, and I just wasn’t as enthusiastic. But I am so glad that nurse practitioners have integrated so well in just about every setting - giving physician assistants and primary care docs a run for their money. I’m not disappointed with the decisions I made with my education. And it’s nice to see a physician like my husband appreciate a great care giver when he sees one. 









No comments:

Post a Comment