Tuesday, May 15, 2018

First Ladies Exhibit at the Smithsonian American History Museum

It’s a good excuse to go to a museum when you have out of town guests. And if the out of town guests don’t have a particular venue in mind, the American History Museum is one of my favorites. My sister first took me there many years ago when I was in high school and she was studying at Catholic University. Since then my husband and I have been there several times. My favorite spot was the First Ladies gowns. Back then, they were arranged from Martha Washington to the current inhabitant - the styles of the dresses and the sizes of the women that wore them changed over time. Now the exhibit doesn’t have as many, but they are still interesting to see. Museums in general don’t have the same appeal as they once did before the internet. And, unfortunately the place is being renovated so we didn’t get to visit some of the fun stuff - like Judy Garland’s red ruby slippers that are being restored. Indiana Jones hat and whip were showcased. The school groups and tour buses still pack the place, which is why we try to go when it is off season to avoid the crowds. I’m not sure when we will return - perhaps when we have more out of town guests? 




















No comments:

Post a Comment