Friday, May 11, 2018

Male Cardinal in the Birdbath

We have a very tiny patio garden and one of the features is a solar powered bird bath. It attracts a variety of birds - mostly sparrows and doves - but every once in awhile robins and my all time favorite cardinals stop by. The squirrels and bees also enjoy sipping from the gurgling water. Cardinals are so pretty and handsome. I know their chirp and always look for the mate because they always come in pairs. With out of town guests here this week, we spent more time on the patio side of the house when a lot of bird activity goes on in the late afternoon. I’m not sure how they see me through the glass patio door, but I oftentimes sneak up to catch photos or movies before they fly off. A male cardinal showed up and actually was splashing around in the birdbath - a very rare sight. I posted the video on my Facebook page and it got almost 500 hits. The next day, his partner came by and I took a video of her doing the same thing. She got not even sixty hits. Granted, the bright red plumage does make a big difference. Nevertheless it is an interesting observation. I caught a crow rummaging around a garbage bin yesterday. I have a feeling he would have a better response than the female cardinal. 












No comments:

Post a Comment