Friday, July 6, 2018

An Old FSU Biology Lab Partner

It’s been almost 46 years since I took the first biology class required for a nursing, dental, or medicine major at Florida Stare University. With that class came a lab; with that lab came a lab partner; and the experiment had something to do with fiddler crabs, hormones, eyestalks, and circadian rhythms. It also required staying up all night to make hourly checks on the chromatophores of the crabs under a dissecting microscope. I remember it all because I still have the typed paper dated December 11, 1972 with the name of my lab partner. So I looked him up and found the good dentist in Florida. I sent him four pages of the paper and asked him if it looked familiar? From there we shared a very pleasant chat about life so many years after the fact. It feels like yesterday that I worked with the tow haired young man with the dark rimmed glasses - back in style these days. It’s so nice to learn most of the people I knew back then from high school or college seem adjusted and happy with things. In fact, I still have connections with the professor who taught that biology class. Both my lab partner and I agree Dr. Tschinkel was a wonderful instructor - although when we presented the results of our experiment I remember feeling quite overwhelmed with what seemed to be extraordinary questions! It’s for these reasons and memories that I love the internet. It was great chatting with you Paul! 










No comments:

Post a Comment