Monday, July 2, 2018

Rain Poncho

When I grew up in Florida I always had an umbrella handy - I really hate walking in the rain and hate even more getting myself and my feet wet. I have an umbrella for every sort of situation. A small pocket size black umbrella is always in my purse; a foldable green umbrella is always in the car; another small foldable red and black number with a handle are kept in the house for when we walk and rain is expected. Then there is one huge and an even huger umbrella to use in downpours. The other day it looked like rain, but the forecast said no. And since I wasn’t wearing a purse, we decided to take along our rain ponchos that we bought at the National Gallery of Art just in case. They are small enough to wear in your pocket and would suffice if need be. When we reached our destination during our morning walk it still wasn’t raining. However, it had obviously downpoured while we were inside. But because the rain had stopped we decided not to put on the ponchos, although it still looked threatening. So of course just a couple of blocks before we reached home it started to pour again. We weren’t lucky enough to reach the overpass to protect ourselves and ended up getting drenched - standing under a tree and feeling every drop. Yes, we had the ponchos but didn’t feel like opening them up just for two blocks. I’m not sure that was such a bright idea. All that goes to show is that even when you are most prepared it didn’t mean a hill of beans. Next time I will know better and I still have my unused poncho to prove it. 












No comments:

Post a Comment