Friday, May 29, 2020

Thanksgiving in May

I got the idea over a month ago. I wanted to get a butterball bone in turkey in a bag to cook for not only dinner, but use the leftovers for sandwiches and to make soup. I always get this turkey for our annual family thanksgiving. I also wanted to share this one with my brother and sister in law - as a surprise. Since we have been doing delivery groceries since March 13, it’s taken a few weeks to get all the ingredients. I had to make a special Instacart request for the turkey at Harris Teeter - sending along a photo of the turkey package. I was thrilled when they found what I was looking for! But the stove top stuffing took a few tries until it arrived last week from Giant Peapod. Prior to that, we already had the potatoes, and Brussel sprouts, and the gravy arrived a couple of weeks ago. Since we don’t drink milk, we were able to use a powder substitute. And instead of butter for the dressing, we used olive oil. We put the turkey in around 2:00 and my husband and I chowed down around 5:30. Then we put the delivery box together - all the fixings plus two bags of Pizelle wafer cookies for dessert. I sent a cryptic text to my sister in law and she initially was not sure about the meaning of it, but soon caught on. So we made our first trip to another part of DC to make the “touchless” delivery. I dropped the bag at their front door and ran back to the car. At first she wasn’t sure who was in the car, but figured that out too - masks make it bit difficult to know who you are talking to. Anyway, it was a fun outing - the first one we have had in months. To see another familiar face was quite nice. And we both got a turkey dinner out of it. Now - let’s have a sandwich! 





























No comments:

Post a Comment