Monday, July 27, 2020

Finger Injury from Balcony Door

I know a lot about finger injuries. Every finger and thumb on my left hand was either broken by a football, smashed in a car door, or literally torn up in a snow blower. It is so painful it’s hard to describe. Obviously the snowblower accident required surgery - a pin and stitches and broken bones with months of physical therapy. We have a very heavy balcony door that is not hanging straight. It requires a good amount of effort to open and close it because it “sticks” on two metal pieces. It just so happens that contractors will be here this afternoon to adjust it as part of a new house warranty work, along with a couple other things. Just this week I was telling my husband to be sure to close the door by the handle using your left hand. Wouldn’t you know yesterday his right index finger was caught in the door. Out came the ice and orders to sit still with his arm elevated for at least twenty minutes. I found my old finger splints, tape, gauze and band aids as I wasn’t sure about the extent of the injury. I’m not good at looking at injuries anymore even though I’m a registered nurse. I liked taking care of patients that were already bandages up, so that ruled out the emergency room. My husband, being a surgeon, always downplays the magnitude of his injuries which luckily have been few and far in between. In the end he’s only wearing a bandaid. I know I would have been taking at least some aspirin and guarding the finger with a splint. His pain tolerance must be unbelievable. I only hope it doesn’t cause any problems down the line. That darn door! 






















No comments:

Post a Comment