Sunday, September 20, 2020

The Handwritten Letter

I’ve been reading about how that during these weird times it would be a good idea to write and send handwritten letters to friends and family. Then, unexpectedly and out of the blue, a letter arrived in the mail from a friend in the Midwest. It’s not the first time I have received a letter from her, but it’s been a while. In the age of emails and texts and zoom/FaceTime, it all feels so very old fashioned. But so do a lot of other things that remind me of the 50’s and 60’s - drive in movies, moving to the suburbs, road trips, cooking at home, board games... I was always one to write letters as a youngster to my favorite aunt and cousin. I would wait with great anticipation for the mailman to come. Having email and texting has made it even easier to communicate. But the one thing remains constant - people who like to communicate do so regardless of the means while those who don’t care to still don’t. I still have every card my mom ever sent to me, but haven’t had the wherewithal to go through them since she passed away in February. The cards and letters are very personal - the paper and pen that is used and the distinguished handwriting that belongs to each individual. Yes, it was nice getting a letter from a friend. I let her know how much immediately by sending her a text message. 








No comments:

Post a Comment